Tuesday, January 30, 2018

2018 Texas SCCA Club Trials MSR Cresson Event Recap

The 2018 Racing Season has officially started for me and what a great weekend to start!  The first event of the weekend was an SCCA Club Trials 2 day track event, with double points at MSR Cresson.  We would be running on the 1.7 mile configuration, counter-clockwise both days.  Weather was about as good as you can hope for this time of year.  Generally clear skies and dry track and a high of the mid 60's.

For the weekend not only did I have  great time, but I got to really test and measure myself against some other great Miatas.  For this particular event we had four E-Street Miatas to run and measure against.  On day One I would be 2nd of 4, and on day 2 I was 3 of 4.  Congrats to my friends Don Sibley, Phil Elmore and Trent Hyde all for great drives in the Miatas.  Here is some video and pictures!  

As far as times go, I would get down to a 1:33.464 on day two, (lap 9 of video).  The great thing about this lap as you can see I lifted because of traffic ahead at the S/F line, else I think it would have gotten me down into the 32's for the first time.  


Video of my best overall session 1:33.464 (best lap on #9)
Details on the car.  2001 Miata LS stock engine.  6.5 inch x 15 wheels, with 205/50/15 tires, Bridgestone RE71R.  Koni Sport Yellows (non valved), stock springs, larger racing beat front sway bar, and otherwise stock.  Fastest Miata in this same class on the weekend ran a 1:31.7xx.  


The Guys all standing next to Miatas (Don Left, Me Center, Phil Right, Bob Far Right)

Best part of the weekend, Friends, Stories, and just laughs and fun.  

Now that this event is over, I will have a short break before the next races in early March which will be in Autocross to start.  Next time out on the track could be late March or early May in some of the upcoming club trials events!  Off we go into 2018, fun times to be had for sure!




Best Finish of the Year - Equipe Rapide #4 Mirror Cross

In a couple of weeks time we will have the annual running of the SCCA Pro Solo here in Texas, hosted at Mineral Wells airport.  It's alw...